Dr. Neely has worked in the mental health field for over twenty years. She has been the chief executive officer of Richardson Counseling Services since its inception in 2001. Dr. Neely has enjoyed serving in an array of capacities through out her career, including psychotherapist, professor, and counselor supervisor. She has worked with a wide array of populations including; children, adolescents, couples, and families. She frequently appears on national radio and television shows as a guest expert speaking about confidence, self-esteem tools and relationship satisfaction for women. Some appearance include Sirius XM’s Maggie Linton Show, WBDJ7 The Joy Sutton Show and Plaid for Women radio Podcast.
Dr. Neely’s first children’s’ book titled Straight Talk was published in 2014 and has won the prestigious Indie Excellence Book award finalist division. This book is a culmination of Dr. Neely’s ground breaking qualitative research in the area of hair shaming and self-esteem for young girls. She has also a published numerous articles in the area of self-esteem.
She currently manages the day to day operations of the counseling center, administering over both of it’s internship programs. She spends a large portion of her time writing, teaching and speaking to audience on issues related to self-esteem tools and confidence building tools. She combines her practical straight forward approach to therapy, narrative therapy skills and her Christian perspective to give clients an effective counseling experience both online and face to face. She is supported by her husband and two beautiful daughters.
Education & Qualifications:
- PhD in Counselor Education and Supervision, St. Mary’s University San Antonio, Texas
- Masters of Arts, Counseling and Guidance, Prairie View A & M University
- Bachelor of Arts, Sam Houston State University
- Licensed Professional Counselor
- Licensed Professional Counselor Supervisor
- 16 plus years of experience working with couples, individuals and adolescents.
Training for Organizations & Guest Expert Appearances
Dr. Neely provides training for organizations and guest expert advice for television and radio programs. Her specialty area is self-esteem tools and confidence building. She also frequent speaks on hair-shaming, an area in which she has done extensive research. Dr. Neely’s ground breaking method called the BackStory Breakthrough™ is a corner stone of many of her talks and presentations. The method is designed to build tech self-esteem tools, stop self-doubt and increase relationship satisfaction. She provides training to a wide range of organizations including hospitals, residential treatment centers, case management firms, non-profits, private practice professionals, and educational consultants.
Dr. Neely has written an award winning children’s Book!
Straight Talk A Mother Daughter Conversation about Learning to Love Your Hair Self-Acceptance
Sisters Morgan and Maddie give their mother nothing but trouble when it comes to combing their hair. They try many tricks to get out of the process and, more importantly, are convinced that getting a hair relaxer will be the answer to all their troubles. Their mother does not know that some family friends have made the girls feel that they have BAD, ugly hair. The story unfolds as their mother makes this discovery and has a straightforward conversation with the girls. The book is based on Dr. Neely’s research in the area of hair-esteem and hair loss for women of color. The child is left with the lesson of self-acceptance and also learns a real history lesson.
Past Speaking Events & Accomplishments:
- Successful Women Play By Different Rules Online Course Launches (November 2016)
- October 2016, Anger Management Work Shop for Women, RCS
- Plaid for Women Radio- Are Women Cheating More Than Men Now?” (August 2016)
- Published Article-Curlynicki.com “Going Natural May NOT Be the Key to Helping Your Daughter Embrace Her Natural Hair” (March 2016)
- January 2016, Release of BackStory course for professionals
- Plaid for Women Radio, Dr. Neely; Should Pornography be a deal breaker for you relationship (July 2016)
- BackStory Breakthrough Online Course initial launch ( January 2016)
- Seminar on mental health and college students at Trinity University – San Antonio. (October 2015)
- Plaid for Women Radio, Dr. Neely; Black Lives Matter Movement from a Feminine Perspective (September 2015)
- Plaid for Women Radio, Dr. Neely; Kids & Natural Hair. (September 2015)
- Strengthen Your Connections: Exploring Your BackStory, Women’s Seminar. Richardson Counseling Services. (August 2015)
- The Joy Sutton Talk Show, Roanoke Virginia-Dr. Neely discussed improving self-esteem for women. (July 2015)
- Plaid for Women Radio, Dr. Neely discuss hair shaming and her children’s book. (June 2015)
- Self Esteem for Women in the Military, Army Base (May 2015)
- Naturalista take over Galveston Island-Dr. Neely spoke on the history of hair shaming and self-esteem (May 2015)
- Dr. Neely’s book Straight Talk wins and Indie Excellence award for children’s book (May 2015)
- Having Positive Self Esteem: What’s Your Back Story?, Plaid for Women (April 28th, 2015)
- Having Positive Self Esteem: What’s it all About?, Plaid for Women (April 1th, 2015)
- Building Healthy Communication for Couples, Richardson Counseling Services (February, 2015)
- Natural Hair in American 3 part series, San Antonio Public Library ( February, 2015)
- The Maggie Linton Show, Sirius XM National radio ( January, 2015)
- Practical Treatment Strategies for Improving Self-Esteem, Methodist Hospital System (San Antonio, Texas 2014)
- Dynamic Women’s Workshop on Self-Esteem, Richardson Counseling Services (San Antonio, Texas 2014)
- Surviving the Emotional Impact of Hair Loss, Trichology conference (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Trichology conference, 2014)
- The Psychological Impact of Hair Loss, Trichology conference (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania , 2014)
- Understanding Trichotillomania, Trichology conference (San Antonio, Texas, 2014)
- Full Circle Inspiration Talk Show, reappearing guest speaker ( San Antonio, Texas 2012-2013)
Dr. Kirleen Neely’s As Seen On Appearances
Get a free video lesson on how to release insecurities and have better relationships.
Successful women play by different rules. They understand that there are behaviors that prevent them from having success in their relationships and life. We are having a 10 day online course to teach you tools to release these success blocks. Sign up and get your a free video lesson.
SIGN UP NOW!!!