Richardson Counseling Services utilizes two types of interns (1) licensed professional counselor interns and (2) Bachelor level interns. Our licensed professional counselor interns provide low cost counseling services to individuals, couples and adolescents. Our Bachelor level interns provide office support functions for the center.
Licensed Professional Counselor Internships
All counselor interns must have completed a Master’s degree in Counseling and be in the process of obtaining a temporary licensee or already have a temporary counselor license. We are interested in interns who have a strong desire to own their own private practice and are business minded.
What We Provide Counselor Interns:
- Free individual and group LPC Supervision
- Monthly monetary reimbursement for conducting internship duties.
- Clinical experience working with individuals, couples, families, and adolescents.
- Opportunities to develop and run your own counseling group.
- Advance training in operating and owning a private practice (i.e. business plan development, insurance company protocols, education on tax structure, education on government reporting procedure, private practice pitfalls, and marketing techniques).
- Possible opportunity to transition into a contract therapist position with RCS, once fully licensed.
Counselor Intern Requirements:
- Interns are required to complete a minimum of 20 hours of direct client contact per week.
- Interns are required to provide their own liability insurance.
- Interns are required to engage in on going marketing and advertising efforts.
- Interns must be able to work some days and evening shifts.
Counselor Intern Application Process:
- Send resume to the RCS for review.
- You will be contacted for a phone interview if your resume meets our needs.
- A face to face interview will be set up if you are selected after the phone interview.
- Completion of Application Packet
Please give us a call for more information 210-523-4200 or email resume to email@example.com.
Bachelor Level Internships
The Bachelor level internship is designed to give college students hands on experience in the mental health field. Our Bachelor level interns provide a variety of support functions including intake assessments, newsletter writing, and administrative functions. Applicants must be in the process of receiving their Bachelor’s degree in Psychology or related field and have a strong interest in pursuing graduate education in the mental health field. Preference will be given to applicants in their last year of college.
RCS utilizes Bachelor level interns during the Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters. Interns are required to work an entire semester and dedicate a minimum of two days per week to the internship. Interns work from0 from 2:00-6:00pm. Interested applicants should forward their resume, three letters of reference, and a brief statement about why they want to participate in this internship to firstname.lastname@example.org attention Dr. Neely.
Skills and Experiences Interns will acquire:
- Ability to conduct a mental health telephone intake
- Ability to screen clients for suicidal ideation and knowledge of how and when to refer for inpatient services
- Opportunity to participate in mental health treatment team meetings.
- Understanding of mental health laws and HIPAA privacy practices
- Ability to write and edit mental health articles for RCS newsletter and social networking sites
- Understanding of how to maintain mental health medical record charts
- Hands on experience of what it is like to work in the mental health field